Thursday, July 12, 2012

Vegan Tacos

For the past month or so I have been a bit obsessed with eating taco's, actually more than when I used to eat meat. Funny story sort of concerning tacos. So when I was around 11 I stopped eating tacos and it wasn't until many years later that I tentatively gave them a chance again. At the time I was playing a round of card games with some friends while we ate tacos and someone happened to make a funny joke that caused me to laugh. Well it so happened that I was chewing right when I laughed and a piece of the taco shell lodged sideways in my throat. I was choking on it for a minute before it ended up dislodging and I was able to breath albeit with a sore throat. Since that moment I steered clear of tacos having been traumatized a bit. Now though I have fully embraced the greatness that are tacos and eat them often. I use hard and soft taco shells depending on my mood but one thing I always make sure it to avoid talking or laughing while I'm eating them.


Moving on here is my recipe for Taco's



Depending on how many taco's you are going to make you can add more or less. This recipe is to make 4 tacos

Ingredients:
4 soft taco shells/4 hard shell tacos
1/4 of an Onion (you can puree or just chop the onions, it all depends on your taste)
1/2 tbsp of Paprika
1/2 tsp of Chili Powder 
1 clove of garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste
Taco sauce ( you can make it or if lazy then use a pre packaged one like Ortega)
1/4 package of tempeh (cut into cubes)  OR 1/2 small package of Soy Crumbles (Can be any brand, I tend to buy LightLife's Ground Crumbles but use what you have)
1/2 cup Shredded Cheese OR 1 tbsp of Nutritional Yeast (Can be any kind of cheese and doesn't even have to be shredded really. I like to use Daiya or half a slice of Rice cheese if that's what I have)
Refried Beans (If getting store bought refried beans make sure they are vegan friendly. Or you can just use whole washed and cooked beans)
Unlimited Greens (Any kind of vegetable topping you like to put on tacos, like tomatoes and lettuce. I've used spinach or string beans even and some sprouts, it depends on your taste)
Optional: Guacamole (home made or store bought doesn't matter. I will be posting a recipe for some home made guacamole)


*If you are using whole beans make sure to cook and drain them prior to cooking your Soy Crumbles/Tempeh.
*If you are not using store bought guacamole make sure to have it ready before you make your tacos.

1.Using a non stick pan place your soy crumbles in or if using tempeh then put those in.

2.Taking your onion, paprika, chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper mix those into your "meat" of choice. Let them cook together for about 2-3 minutes to ensure they are well seasoned. You can add your taco sauce in to cook or just top it as a sauce on your taco.

3.After cooking your filling you can start cutting up whatever greens are going inside your tacos.

4. Now you can start assembling your taco's. I like placing the beans on the bottom then my tempeh or soy, followed by the cheese and sauce then topped with my choice greens.


These taco's are so good I can't even remember how they tasted when I did eat meat. Everything in this recipe is easily interchangeable.


Plate, serve and enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment