Sunday, January 15, 2012

Egg and Cheese Sandwich



So I have been craving an egg and cheese sandwich for like a week or so and finally this morning decided to give it a try. Occasionally I will make scrambled tofu but generally my breakfast consists of just toast with butter and some nutritional yeast. I woke up to find my mother cooking scrambled eggs and omeletes and felt inspired to make my own version.

Taking a pain I put a small amount of oil and threw in some sliced onions. Letting it cook for like a minute I then threw in some paprika, tumeric, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Normally to season my "eggs" I don't add poultry seasoning but I actually quite like the taste it gives it.

Crumble in the tofu and stir all the ingredients together so that it is well seasoned. Then in the meantime I just popped my bread into the toaster, lightly buttering one side.

Depending on whether you are going to use any mock meat you can start cooking it now also. I decided to use some pepperoni slices which I threw into the pan with the eggs to cook.

Once you see that the tofu is cooked (it doesn't take long) then you can add in your cheese, I used mozzarella. I just let it melt and then took my bread out of the toaster and placed it inside of it. Once my pepperoni's were as crunchy as I wanted them I added them on top of the egg and cheese. Also while the bread is still hot from the oven I sprinkled some nutritional yeast onto the side that was buttered.


*Since tofu can get cold really quick you want to space everything out so that it will still be warm by the time you plate it and go to eat it.


I had my sandwich with some water and an orange. The sandwich is filling and tasty, I might even go so far to say that it tastes better than a real egg and cheese sandwich. 

No comments:

Post a Comment