Sunday, November 13, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Oat Muffins

Late last night I got into the mood of baking but tried to figure out what to make. I really wanted to try my hand at making chocolate chip cookies but having never made cookies from scratch I told myself to leave it for another day. Instead I decided on muffins since I already made cupcakes and a sponge cake. The idea of blueberry muffins and something with oats appealed to me so I got started. 

Apple Cinnamon Oat Muffins Ingredients


2 cups whole wheat flour (unbleached white is fine too)
2 cups oats
3/4 cup sugar (white or brown will do)
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I subbed it for a banana)
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups soy milk
3 apples, peeled and diced into small pieces 


Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes


The only alterations I made to the ingredients were eliminating the salt (because I had no more at home) and I did 1 cup Soy milk and 1/2 cup water. Next time I will use the salt a little more cinnamon, applesauce and instead of soy milk use almond milk, I think the almond flavor would work nicely. I ended up with a lot of batter enough to make two dozen muffins. It came out slightly sweet not overpowering and although my sister enjoyed them I personally wish they had a little more cinnamon ( I love the taste of it). It was surprisingly easy and I will make them again in the future with the changes I stated.


I made my blueberry muffins first and while they came out like muffins I wasn't too happy with the end result. I had the oven set too high so the outsides slightly burned and then it hardly had any flavor. I used canned blueberries because I didn't have fresh ones (I think this affected it greatly) and I had to skip on salt because I was out of that also. They have a slight sweet taste but not really strong so those are still sitting in the fridge. 
 Sad flat little muffins :(

No comments:

Post a Comment