Sunday, November 6, 2011

Eggplant Stacks

I wasn't sure what to make but then spying some eggplants figured I would make something with those. Normally I like to make eggplant Parmesan and I fry the eggplant, this time I decided to bake them. I again wanted something that wasn't very heavy or too difficult to prepare. 


Cutting up the eggplant in wheels I coated them like I would if I made fried chicken. Only difference is I didn't use egg or milk, instead I used plain soy milk to soak them in. I ground up plain cornflakes with the seasonings of my choice; paprika,basil,salt, pepper,onion powder,nutritional yeast, flax-seed. I mixed up all the dry ingredients in the blender to get them mixed and get the cornflakes smaller. One by one I dipped and coated and then spread them onto a pan to put in the oven. 
While that cooked I cooked the filling for my stacks;ground soy crumbles. Lightly greasing a pan I added some salt pepper,onion,garlic and paprika with the soy crumbles. Then as that started to cook I washed some fresh baby spinach and threw it in with the crumbles to soften. When the spinach was soft I took the pan off the stove and checked on my eggplants. 
After taking out my eggplants I got a plate and started building as much as I would eat. I put one eggplant wheel down and topped it with the "meat" then took a tiny amount of "mozzarella" cheese and sprinkled it on top. To give it a little moisture I poured a little bit of tomato sauce on top (spaghetti sauce will do) and then covered with another eggplant wheel.
Since the cheese wasn't melted I would have to put it in the microwave for a couple of seconds. Next time I will just assemble the stack and let it cook together in the oven.
And so that was my lunch, topped off with an apple and some water on the side


This is a good option for Lunch or Dinner, you can pair it with whatever you wish and its good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment