Saturday, December 10, 2011

Breakfast Option

Even though breakfast isn't my favorite meal of the day when I want to have something other than toast I like eating oatmeal or cream of wheat. I had tried making cream of wheat since being vegan and that was with my chocolate soy milk(the only thing I had at hand). While it wasn't bad, I wanted it with plain milk. I used my vanilla soy milk but next time I think I will use a plain soy milk instead. If you don't mind a taste of vanilla then it's not a big deal but I prefer to have it taste like I always make it.
Anyway the cream of wheat boxes normally give you the measurements to make it but I have always eyeballed it. I fill a pot with some milk (how much depends on how many are eating from it) then I sprinkle in the cream of wheat. I put in enough flakes that when I put a spoon in and scoop out some milk there is noticeable flakes on the spoon. You don't want to have too much flakes or it won't cook properly and you don't want to have too little or it will be watery.
I scoop in about a spoonful of butter and then sugar,cinnamon to taste adding some salt to bring out the sweetness. You can also throw in some cinnamon sticks which I use maybe two that I break in half.
The key to creamy well cooked Cream of Wheat is to have it on low fire and stir it continuously. I stand there and stir it to ensure it doesn't come out a disaster. If you don't stir it then clumps form and as it gets thicker you will have clumps of it that are uncooked in the middle.
It doesn't take that long to make at all so standing there for like 3 minutes isn't a big deal.
Then I serve it on a flat plate because it cools quicker that way and I sprinkle some cinnamon on top.


You can see some clumps in mine because I got distracted and didn't stir :( but doesn't matter still tasty!


Well try this out and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment