Thursday, December 1, 2011

Vegan Peanut Butter Bars

So this recipe is adapted from a recipe in a cookbook. I have been wanting to try this for ages and finally got around to it. A lot of the measurements that they had originally didn't make sense in making it turn out how it should, thankfully I'm never one to follow recipes to a T, I prefer to wing it. Winging it turned out to work very well in my favor. So here is the original recipe with my adaptions included and some pictures of each step.



Serves 8  157 calories per serving


1/2 cup low calorie thin chocolate wafers, ground (I subbed it for some plain shredded wheat cereal that I ground)
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/3 cup confectioners sugar ( I used regular sugar)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter melted and cooled (I used about 4 1/2 to make it stick more)
1/4 cup creamy reduced fat peanut butter (used regular creamy peanut butter)
1 1/2 reduced fat cream cheese, room temperature (I used Tofutti cream cheese )
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons semi sweet chocolate chips, melted (Vegan)
optional: cinnamon (to taste)


1. Line a 9 inch loaf pan with parchment paper leaving an overhang on the sides to lift out easier later.
No loaf pan for me, I felt it would be easier to use something bigger and flatter.

2. Combine the ground wafers, oats, sugar and 1/4 tsp in a bowl. Stir in the butter until everything is evenly moistened. Stir in 1 tbsp of peanut butter ( I used 3 tbsp because it wasn't all clumping together) until mixture forms large clumps.Transfer mixture to lined loaf pan and press into an even layer ( I sprinkled a little cinnamon on top not measuring it). Refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes or so.
Before patting it into the pan


It makes quite a lot of it

3.Meanwhile beat cream cheese with a mixer until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes (I just used a spoon). Add vanilla, 1/4 tsp salt and and remaining 3 tbsp of peanut butter ( Since I only used about 3-4 tbsp of cream cheese I used around 2-3 tbsp of peanut butter) I also sprinkled some cinnamon in to make it a little sweeter. Mix until pale and nearly doubled in volume. Transfer to the loaf pan and spread in an even layer over the cookie crust. Freeze until firm, about 10 minutes or so.
Nice and creamy, make sure its room temperature before spreading so its easier to work with

Not so even spread but I was using a spoon 


4. Taking some chocolate chips (about 1/3 cup) I melted it for 20 seconds in the microwave adding a tiny bit of water to thin it out. Then I spread an even layer over the chilled peanut butter later. Refrigerate until firm, about 10-15 minutes. Then cut in 8 squares when you are ready to serve.
At first I only melted the chocolate and spread which is why the bottom half is darker and lumpier. The top half on the other hand was thinned out with water and made it much easier to work with.

Cut it up as evenly as I could

I wish I would have gotten a better picture


Next time I will be more neater about making these but I was in a rush and multi-tasking making some dinner. These were gone hours after being made, even my sister who hates peanut butter couldn't help herself from having two. They were just so good. She likened them to Reese's peanut butter cups in taste. The flavors are just so good and work well, I really think the cinnamon helped bring out the flavor better. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks before making these again because I won't be able to stop eating them. 


Give these a try and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment