Thursday, December 1, 2011

Vegan Ravioli

I've always wanted to make my own ravioli but felt it was such a daunting task, turns out it wasn't. I originally wanted to make spinach ravioli but I had none and figured I would use up the rest of my "beef" I had bought. 


The ravioli's were made with 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 1 1/2 cups semolina flour, 3/4 cup water, 1tsp olive oil.


I seasoned the filling with worchestire, garlic, finely chopped onions, paprika, salt, pepper, flax and nutritional yeast. I threw in some chopped up carrots and shredded mozarella "cheese". Feel free to add more seasonings.
 
I mixed it by hand because it was easier

Cutting the ravioli as even as possible I scooped out small amounts for the filling (which actually ended being too much and had to be cut in half)
Using some water I sealed the edges and used a fork to make the design on the edges
Boil them for about 8 minutes, don't put a lot of them at a time to avoid overcrowding
I didn't have tomatoes at hand so I used a vegetable tomato sauce from Ragu and simmered my ravioli in it. Only putting in a few at a time to cook.
Serve and top with some nutritional yeast (Next time I will use vegan Parmesan) 

I made a lot of ravioli so I stored extras in an ziplock bag for later. I ended up having it for lunch the next day, all I had to do was microwave it for a couple of minutes and I had a meal already done. I'm learning its better to prepare a little more so that I can store it in the freezer for when I want some later. I also had some extra filling left over and used it for lasagna which I made for dinner. It was one less step I had to do which saved me time. 


Give this a try and enjoy!




UPDATE: I tried this recipe again with some spinach,nutritional yeast, Daiya mozzarella and a bit of salt and pepper. Then I fried it and served it in a tomato sauce. It tasted Soo Delicious, but then again fried things usually do.



No comments:

Post a Comment